The Howey-in-the-Hills Garden and Civic Club Story

The Howey-in-the-Hills Garden and Civic Club has for more than 60 years helped members develop their gardening skills and share their love of gardening to enhance the beauty of their homes and our town through gardens and flowers. Our Club was founded in 1951 by a group of community-minded women and has evolved over time to also include philanthropic and charitable giving, along with fostering camaraderie among the Club’s members.

The Howey-in-the-Hills Garden and Civic Club meeting programs include topics such as gardening and issues of general interest to women of all ages.

A scholarship fund in memory of one of our loyal and active members, Gail Gross, has been instituted in 2010 to reward a deserving area high school graduate pursuing a degree at Lake-Sumter Community College.

Our 100+ members engage in a variety of community projects including the beautification of Howey and plantings at Dodge Taylor Memorial Cemetery.

The Club provides funds for 16 local organizations, and includes many civic projects around the town of Howey.

Our members take regular excursions to local nurseries and other places of interest.

Some of our members also open their residences for garden tours.

The Howey-in-the-Hills Garden and Civic Club has provided the knowledge, funds and labor to help beautify and enrich Howey-in-the-Hills and surrounding communities for generations to enjoy far into the future.